Sunday 29 July 2012

Exercise 11 - Black and white

For this exercise we were asked to create a linear illustration from one of the words stated. I choose "building" mainly because I want to work at drawing/ recreating scenes.
After some sketchbook brainstorming I took some pictures and did some quick sketchbook work at different building scenes around buildings in Madeira (where I was on holiday at the time!)



I then narrowed this down and produced two illustrations on A3, one based on a church and the other around an integrate door frame. (I really like ornate detail and architecture). I kept the outlines fairly simplistic based on the instructions in the brief.




I inverted both images using photoshop.




The next part of the exercise involved producing copies of the image and cutting and filling areas of white with black. It took me a while to get to grips with this and I began with my door frame image. I think this was quite difficult given the level of detail and line in my drawing which made it more difficult to cut out shapes but i kept standing back and tried to create a cooherent image with the b&w being used to almost create interest, contrast between shadow and a pattern of sorts.



cut version with black in backdrop


 
Not being totally satisfied with my image I decided to work on my church image and was more selective with my choice of shape and contrast. At one point I was unsure whether to go further and add shapes of black to the background, so I took some pictures with the areas tacked down and decided it looked better without.

I decided to try bigger areas of black and white shapes and contrast digitally in photoshop and found some of the results quite effective.

See below



Artists who I would consider who produce very "graphic" images would include the work of Banksy and those of an illustrator called Rohan Daniel Eason. 
I particularly like Rohan's black and white images which have a sort of dreamlike eerie quality to them, despite sometimes depicting quite childlike scenes. I really like the level of detail in his work and find them very striking.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment